Self delusion is my optimism

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Yes family Jack Sparrow is family of the year!!I'm so proud of you peeps!

Last night's campfire was just great,the end of orientation camp was a conclusion for the past hectic 3 days.Waking up early and going back late takes its toll after a couple of days,and i'm totally drained.

It's all been great,from the very beginning OGL camp till the J1 orientation camp.I've learnt so much,and i guess i've grown in a way or two from this experience.I've gone from a TPJCian who doesn't even know his school song,and a TPJCian who'd gladly tell you never to come to this school,to being an ambassador of TPJC and yes i finally know how to sing my school song after a year.

You'd truly start pondering,when the j1s ask you,"what do you think of TPJC?"
Most of us i guess would be tongue tied,the first few thoughts that came would be it's slack,don't come here people,you'd end up getting screwed.But then again on second thoughts,memories of my fellow dedicated teachers,who never gave up and always trying to push us even at times when it seemed we're practically hopeless flooded back.

My reply to them,which i hope was fair and something which was brutally honest,was exactly what my physics teacher used to say in class,and coincidentally something i used to take as bullcrap.

"Here,you can make it,so as long as you try,so as long as you want to.The teachers are always here.You may think or say this is a slack school,but then again,it always comes from the mouths of slackers themselves.It's the same wherever you go,if you're slack,there'd be no happy ending for you.It all comes down to yourself."After this short speech to them,i found myself momentarily stunned,cause it was just as my teachers used to say,and the thought of me actually mouthing the similiar words was just hard to swallow.

As the days passed by.my mindset gradually changed about J1 orientation,i slowly realised that my objectives were reshuffling their order.I wanted to do something that never crossed my teeny weeny pea brain.Orientation camp,wasn't about just coming to school and then running through the activities mindlessly.It was far beyond that,making the j1s feel part of the TPJC family,and making them feel that this was a warm place that welcomed them was THE point.

Letting them bond with each other,and letting them get attached to the school,was my goal.The sense of belonging which i lacked was a priority,it explained everything about me and a large number of my friends who came after the first three months.

"It's a waste of time,and besides,your only going to check our the girls!"
I can still remember what my friend said when i tried convincing him to come along to be an OGL.After this whole experience,i just wished he was there,there so he'd know what it all feels like.What it feels like to be one with a whole group of people,shouting,screaming.That wave of euphoria after everyone gives in everything for a group cheer,that feeling that grips you so tightly,that it feels hard to breathe.

And finally,the sense of achievement,and satisfaction that you probably have done something right,and hopefully something for the school.
And there's the chance,that you made some people feel at home,a small chance you convinced people that this is the school for them.
And the small chance,that you finally feel proud of your own school...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home